While I was getting ready for work one morning, listening to talk radio like I usually do, a commentary caught my eye. But before I go there, let me give you a little history.
I have never really liked hard core exercise. I HATED P.E. in high school. So long story short of it, if I felt fat, I took "control" by having breakfast in the morning and hardly eating anything during the day and then having dinner. But then there were other times where I would have have breakfast, lunch, and dinner but the portions were a small decent size. I wasn't into a lot of snacking, I was into chewing gum and eating ice. I thought that was one way to control my eating too much.
There came a point where my sister thought I was starving myself and looking back maybe I was but not to the extreme of anorexia. One co-worker told me she envied me because of how skinny I was; another co-worker bought me a sandwhich because he thought I was too skinny. And the struggle went on.
I would have spurts of working out, like rollerblading or riding my bike, even walking through several neighborhoods until my friend who use to police that area nearly begged me not to exercise around that neighborhood by myself because she has seen some unpretty scenes as an officer.
I did have a treadmill, which I broke because I stepped on it wrong. I also LOVED to dance in my room. That's exercise right?
One reason, I didn't like exercise because it would cause me to sweat, which the sweat would poof out my hair in a lot of places on my head and I couldn't do anything about it until I got home and even then I couldn't straighten my hair out every day. Talk about the damage that would do! I'm the black woman who would wash her hair like once a week or week and a half and then straigten my hair and try to keep it maintained between washings. So keeping my hair in check was an issue. I was not about to chemically straighten my hair!
I took my not exercising to another level because it was then I started to get my hair done professionally. They did such a good job and it was expensive to get my hair done every other week! I was like, I'm not sweating this out! And then when I would get my hair braided, they were careful to tell me not to sweat out my hair especially if it was synthetic hair. So I blame the hair!
But then, I started to wear my hair natural. HALLELUJAH! I was free but stuck in the frame of mind that I don't like exercising. Not only that but I started to eat more and move less, especially when I got married. Which by the way, is really no excuse!
So as I was listening to that commentary, the lady said that black women's hair is making them fat. From experience, I can agree with that.
But, alas, I have no excuse! My hair is natural, my body is screaming at me to get moving, and my intention is to run a half marathon. (Laugh card)
I have a cousin, who use to be heavier than I and she trained her way to running her first half marathon! The other day she encouraged me to take it one day at a time!
Today, is the day to get moving. Won't you join me?
5 comments:
hello Mrs M, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. sharing your experience with me was such a boost to my confidence as i'm walking through the short hair journey again.
i count dancing as exercise.
you cousin is right take it one day at a time (i'm doing the same thing when it comes to my workouts :)
I'm so glad you were encouraged. We will take it one day at a time!
You can do it! I want to do a half marathon after I have this baby.
Thanks for your encouragement Jamie! I'm starting off slow by training for a 5k.
I just tried to write you back via email to your comment on my blog but your a "no-reply commenter"! Just wanetd to be sure that you knew.
Post a Comment