Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Run Like No Is Watching!



Waiting like a horse at the gate, ready to run!
 
After this past Thanksgiving, eating to my hearts content, we had a race to run! We trained as much as we were going to and ready or not, we were going to run!
 
 

Some of our running swag
 
I was happy to hear that the race was a little later that morning though I was a little afraid that it might be a little warm as predicted by our weather forecaster. I should really learn my lesson already -they are not always right! It was so wonderful to be able to sleep in though!
 
The night before, I "put" our sweaters together...I'm such a procrastinator! With my amateur sewing skills here are some of the results:
 

Complete with Bowtie and Argyle socks, and Gingerbread man stocking which came in handy for dog treats :)
 
Finally, after getting ready, we drove to the Naval Training Center (NTC) now called Liberty Station in Point Loma, CA to get our running party started!
 
The cool story behind NTC is that it used to be the training facility here in San Diego for Navy recruits. I think they closed the base down in 1997.  My dad, my uncle, my brother-in-love AND my father-in-love all got their training here! AND not only that but I got to live just across the street in my cute little studio apartment for 3 years. It is now called Liberty Station and opened for all sorts of fun businesses. When I lived across the street, I used to love to ride my bike through it, think, pray, run, eat and think that years ago I knew people who actually lived here while in training. It was sometimes creepy.
 
Anyways, back to the race.
 
There was Santa in all his puffiness welcoming all the runners and walkers!

Before the run in our Ugly Christmas Sweater Swag (We were butt bombed!)

 
Like horses at the starting gate, ready to go!



After taking the scene in, using the bathroom and getting in line, we were ready to go! They said the race started at 11a.m. but we didn't start running until maybe 20 minutes later. I guess they had to control the mob by breaking us into sections. So we waited and waited. I wanted to get off and running PEOPLE!
Sorry for the blurriness of this picture but that was the starting line!
 
After the team in front of us left the starting line, we moved on up to the front. Pictures were snapped *CHEESE*! We were yelling *ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?! YEAH, WE'RE READY!* Countdown, *THREE, TWO, ONE, GO!*
 
Adam and I ran together for a little bit and then very sadly,  I left him behind. *Sorry honey!*
 
Okay, when I say run, I mean jog. I had the music from my earphones pumping in my ears as I passed the walkers. I wanted to run this and not stop. Every time I saw a funny sweater or a volunteer would cheer us on, it was like a breath of fresh air to my lungs.
 
I stopped for water (and they had hot chocolate to drink, really?!), I stopped two other times to walk a few steps. But my legs still had bounce in them and would not let me walk for long. I almost tripped once but kept on running. I almost felt like throwing up once but kept going. I found out smiling helps when running :)


This beautiful view came into view!
 
I saw the finish line, the "snow" and heard the people cheering! The closer I got, I felt the snow on my face and the feeling of victory as I finally passed the finish line (sounds like a movie, at least in my head). I made it!

 
 
As I waited for my dear husband to come through, I called him on his cell phone. He picked up, he was almost there! I stayed on the line until I could see him. 

Yeah, Baby!

He did it! We did it!
 
Afterwards, we were suppose to go to the Sam Adams beer garden to replenish our electrolytes. (Yeah, right!) But sadly their taps were not working! Oh well, there were some yummy food trucks awaiting us and grub we did!
 
I cannot believe the endorphins that rushed through my body! As the adrenaline was coming down, the endorphins were rushing in. It was one of the best feelings ever!
 
I told Adam in my endorphin induced state that I want to do another one. And I do! Maybe it will be a 6.2 the next time! I know anything could happen but I can dream and try my best in the process!


From me to you! Love, Mrs. M
 
 














 

 

 





No comments: