Today marks me and my hubby's fourth month wedding anniversary thanks to the Leap Year! If it wasn't for this 29th day of February, what would we have done? *GASP* Perish the thought!
Okay, enough of the dramatics.
So, I posted a picture to Facebook, showing my wedding ring-fingered-hand on topside of my husband's. This is what the ring looks like on my hand:
My "Navy mom" (I call her that because she is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the Navy. Her husband is retired doing other things these days), then commented on an old wives' tale, pretty much stating that the band should be worn on the other side, "closest to the heart". I looked it up and it was tradition to do so. According to tradition, during the wedding ceremony the woman is suppose to wear her engagement ring on her right hand. During the ceremony, the husband puts the wedding band on her ring finger while reciting his vows and this my friend is why it is important to have your wedding band put on first. The band to which your husband made his vows with; the band which is closest to your heart. Then AFTER the ceremony, not DURING, do you put the engagement ring back on the ring finger, on TOP of the wedding band. The engagement ring is to guard the most precious vow made on your wedding day. Wearing the ring the way that I have it on is, I guess, considered bad luck.
Before I got married, NO ONE ever told me of this tradition and I've looked at many married fingers admiring the beauty of the ring.
So on my wedding day (OH HAPPY DAY!), with hardly giving it a minutes thought (because I did kind of think of it) I left my engagement ring on my ring finger. When the time came, my darling husband put on the wedding band on TOP of the engagement ring while saying his vows to me.
So in the light of this new revelation and old tradition, is yes in some cases it might LOOK better to have the wedding band closest to the heart but when my husband put that band on my ring finger while saying his vows to me, he was sealing the deal, sealing the commitment that he made to me the day he proposed. Plus, if the ring were to start to slip off my finger, the first to start dropping would be the LEAST expensive part of the ring. (Thanks Maria for bringing that perspective!)
And that's the way I look at it.
Either way, just as the ring symbolizes unity and oneness, my husband and I are now one, united under God. And under Him there is no bad luck. Under Him is what I call a blessed union!
Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame.
Song of Songs 8:6
Song of Songs 8:6