Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fools Day: Birthday Traditions Edition

I hope that you all had a Happy and Blessed Easter Sunday! It was a good time with my parents and father-in-law. I'm so grateful for a husband that has a knack for helping out, so that I was not stressed out trying to do everything to get prepared to have our family over.

So today is the first day of April! You know what that means? It means I have a WHOLE month to celebrate my birthday! It started off with a day, then it went to a week, now it's a month! I just need to figure out how that's going to be done.

When celebrating went to a week, I would take a week off from work and go somewhere or just try to do something everday with or without my friends. It didn't have to be anything huge but it was and still is a fun way to celebrate.

It all started when I turned 25. My dad and I thought it would be fun to take a trip to Texas to visit family. We also thought it would be cool to take a road trip while we were there. I had only been driving for two years. Yes, I was a late bloomer. I had no desire to get my license because I always had older friends to hang out with. Anyways, when my dad and I landed in Texas, we went to the rental car place to get a car. I was just ONE whole week away from my birthday and my dad wanted to put me on the contract as an extra driver. The guy took one look at my driver's license and he said she's 24. My dad said, "Come on man, she'll be 25 next Saturday! Can't you make an exception?" Going back and forth, the man finally caved in and put me on the contract. My dad was happy but I was ecstactic!

As I drove, my dad tried his darndest to keep his eyes open just in case something happened. But thankfully, he went to sleep and let me drive. It was a fun time visiting with uncles, aunties, cousins, and granny!

After that trip and with the encouragement from an old boyfriend (even thought he didn't know he encouraged me in that way), I wanted the tradition to continue.

I have yet to go anywhere exotic for my birthday. One year a friend of mine who shares the same birthday wanted to go to Africa on her 30th. I thought that would be a fun and unfortunately that did not happen. I either didn't have money, she was in the thick of finishing her Master's degree or she became pregnant. Maybe we can try for my 40th (smile).

I've read of people doing 30 things of service for their 30th birthday. Doing something for someone else. That's a cool idea but I also struggled with that to some point. I really wanted to do something fun for my birthday week at least.

As it turns out, months ago, my church had been talking about going to Ensenada again this year to build a home for a family who is poorer than poor. I heard what a great experience it was and what a good time they had. I hadn't been able to go these past two years because one year I was getting ready for our wedding and the second year, I don't think I really had or made the time. I went to Catalina Island with my husband instead. This year, I REALLY wanted to go. So I asked my husband about it and he said, sure. So we put our names in. I didn't even look at the dates.

Well, as God is holy as well as having a great sense of humor, we are leaving for Ensenada on the day of my birthday for five days of housebuilding! That should be a fun experience as well as an adventurous one! Happy Birthday to me!

Do you  have any birthday traditions?

Love,

Mrs. M

P.S. I'm not really good at April Fools Day jokes as far as playing them on others. What about you?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, a whole birthday month? I like to drag mine out for at least several days. When I was growing up, my Dad used to always take me out for a birthday date, just him and me. I don't get to do that any more, but I always thought that was a cool tradition. I hope you have a lot of fun this year with your birthday!
And apparently, judging by the comments on today's post, I'm fairly good at April Fool's pranks. :P

Mrs. M ~ a.k.a. ~ April said...

That is a cool tradition! So special especially with your dad. I love that!