Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Last Day of April

Well, it is the last day of April, April 30th to be exact. It has been one wonderful month of celebrating life in so many ways. And I can't wait to catch up!

I think it's been a week or maybe longer since I have written anything and I have a lot of catching up to do! But I will spread it out in the next several posts.

I hope you all have been doing well. I'm looking forward to reading most of the posts that YOU have already written. They are waiting in my queue to be read.

For the past week, my husband and I had the wonderful opportunity to help build a home in Ensenada, Mexico for a very needy family.  Along with some people from our church, we connected with another church with a ministry called  EOC YUGO Ministries.

This ministry comes along side the local Mexican churches to be the helping hands and willing hearts to help care for the poor in their area. They invite churches to come along side them to help build homes for those in need.

I wish I had some pictures on hand but as some of you might know, I am at work and most of those pictures are at home. I will download some for you in the next post.

It was a great experience to say the least! When you are put in an environment that you are not accustomed to and in a land where you barely speak the language, you are more than likely to be stretched! And if you don't come away grateful to God for what you already have, then some heart "surgery" needs to be done.

Before we left, my husband had been complaining about our yard and the house this or that. But the last day that we were there at the dedication ceremony, the mom cried and said that she had NEVER lived in a place like what was built for her and her family and how she was so grateful to God for this place. (Imagine a basic house with no running water and only a outhouse for a bathroom. There is only dirt around your house, some grass (if you could call it that) by the side of the road and water running down the road from a broken pipe.)

My husband cried. He said after that, he had nothing to complain about.

But aside from the poverty, there was a lot of beauty that I saw. The smiling faces of kids, the eagerness of those kids to help us get the house painted, the sharing hearts of the family who made us lunch with the little money they make, the ocean that you could see in the FAR distance from the house, the love that you saw emanating from the mother toward her family and the simplicity of our surroundings.

After several days of wearing the same jeans, fitful sleep, riding on some of the worst roads, doing my best to communicate in my broken spanish, learning to choose to have a good attitude aside from being uncomfortable at times but working with some great people, I would do it all again.

I'm very grateful that God gave my husband and I this opportunity to work on this project and just to be His hands and feet aside from ourselves.

Talk to you later!

Love,

Mrs. M

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Work projects like that are so great for teaching us lessons and softening our hearts!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

amen to the lessons He has to teach us!

Mrs. M ~ a.k.a. ~ April said...

Thank you for reading!