Meet MoonShadow:
That's not the name we chose, it was given to her and we choose to keep it. I love it!
After going mattress shopping, my husband and I thought it would be a cool idea to go take a look at some dogs at our local animal humane society. So after picking up our "firstborn" Nala from the house, we made our way there. I was kind of excited to see what we might find.
As we walked through the doors, it was nothing like I was expecting. First of all, the rooms that they kept each animal in were SO nice. I was expecting to walk into this hall like room lined with wire cages. I guess that's part of the reason why it's called the Humane Society, they want them to be comfortable until they can find a home for them.
I already told my husband, NO! to any Pit Bull anything! But there was this one medium sized, Pit Bull/Bulldog mix. Our eyes locked and I was hooked! I wanted him. As we continued to walk from room to room we saw many dogs such as a great big Dane that was aging, a one eyed poodle with a cone on his head, cute little puppies playing with each other, and a pit bull that gave you a look that if you reached out your hand, she would probably nip at it.
My. heart. was. breaking! If you have ever gone to one of these places, you'll know what I mean. I wanted to cry. I needed to walk out. But before I did, I made another stop by the one eyed sweetie and then a woman who was also interested in finding another companion started to talk to me. She wanted to get the aging Dane. She has owned Danes in the past. Her last one she had, had hospice care. She said she didn't sleep with her husband for a year! What an understanding husband. Mine's said, that he would not let that happen. I think I get it on both sides, though I think she was a bit extreme. But "fur mommas" love their "babies".
My husband and I wanted to meet the Pit Bull mix that we saw when we started our tour. But as we read the description, I was thinking in my head and said out loud that he doesn't get along with other dogs, meaning that he didn't want to be shared. We have Nala. But we wanted to meet him anyways.
Meet Billy:
We filled out an application and was connected with a dog worker 15 minutes later. We stopped by the Pit Bull's room and stated that we would like to see him. She told us a little bit about him and wanted to get a feel of how we would handle him and to see if our dog would be okay with him. The more we talked about it, the less hopeful it seemed that we would get him, plus he was on hold. To me, he didn't seem like he would be a good fit, as adorable as he was. In the end the worker made the decision that it probably would be in the dog's best interest not to place him with us.
Next, we went to go see Curly.
Meet Curly:
He. was. adorable! Ahh! My heart was already bleeding with heart felt love emotion for this dog. One of the concerns for him was his possible possessiveness towards his food. What if Nala and her blind self accidentally went toward his bowl? Or what if we tried to get close to him while he's eating? Would he nip at our hands? That was something we needed to talk to the trainer about. But other than that, he does get along with other dogs and he is a lovable little thing.
Next, we went to see Daisy (I think that was her name and unfortunately, I don't have a picture). As the worker talked about her and her little quirks, I started to feel uncomfortable I felt and it showed. Daisy was a very needy dog. She needed a stay at home parent. A couple of things, she has a hankering to run away and try to find you if you are not home and she may or may not get along with other female dogs. She sounded like a handful. But my husband REALLY wanted her. I didn't, really. Yes, she was cute but hearing about all her issues did not really endear me to her. The tension was thick.
Finally, we walked out of the room to go get Nala to see how the dogs would get along.
Curly was the first one to meet Nala. They took the cone off his head, so that he could have a better time getting to know Nala. He was an excited little male. There was a lot of sniffing going on. I was afraid that he might be too much for Nala. At one point, the trainer said that Nala gave him a warning with a little growl and he just sat down as if to recognize his boundaries. After awhile, they walked along with each sniffing here and there or going there own way, Nala still sniffing her way around and Curly scooting his bum (butt) in the grass because of his surgery. They let them off the leash and they seemed fine. But in true Nala fashion she could take or leave another dog. Even though she likes little dogs like Curly, she isn't very sociable with other dogs.
Next, it was Daisy's turn. At first sniff, things didn't seem so well. Daisy was trying to make eye contact with Nala and she couldn't because Nala has no eyes. Daisy didn't seem to take very well to that. She would come close to Nala, hop back and whimper. She was unsure of this new situation. The trainers weren't liking what they saw either. This went on for like 5 minutes. They finally said that they didn't feel comfortable with the two dogs together. And needless to say, neither did I. Even though they were not displaying the aggressiveness of two Chow females together, the trainer and worker were afraid that if we did take Daisy home, the two dogs might not get along and start to seriously fight, especially if we are not home.
So we were left to make the decision of whether or not cute, one-eyed Curly would be ours. We decided to take the paperwork home and think about it. I wanted to take Curly home, right then and there but decided it was best to be a team on this one and think about it, even though I think hubby could have gone either way on it.
I wanted to take one animal home. As we were waiting for the paperwork, I strolled over to the rabbit and hamster cages. Out of the four cages with the hamsters, there was this one hamster that was fully awake and climbing the cage. She was not shy at all. By first meeting, I could tell that she was a character. Can we get her, I asked. My husband was like, well she is only $5. But we didn't get her that night. We went home.
The next day as we were sitting in church, I was thinking and leaned over to my husband and asked if I could get the hamster. He said sure!
So to make this long story shorter, I chose MoonShadow who happened to still be there when I got there. I also, sadly decided that right now another dog might not be in our best interest. Maybe when our Nala passes, we might think of getting another one.
I don't know if I can go back to the Human Society for awhile because it was so hard to look at all those dogs, they really pulled at my heart strings. Maybe in the future.
What about you? How did you acquire your fur baby?
Have a wonderful day!
Love,
Mrs. M
.


2 comments:
I can't handle going to the Humane Society. I want to take them all home!
That's exactly how I was feeling. My heart was being ripped out.
Post a Comment