Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Date nights and marriage!

I don't know about you but I love me some date nights! I consider anytime that I get my husband to myself and just cuddling on the couch date time. BUT I do like to get out for some extra special time together!

This past Friday, I called my husband and asked if we could go out on a date that night, knowing that he had school and all. But he said, "That's okay, we can still go out tonight. It's not like we have work or anything the next day." I said I'll leave the where to him and then I brought up something about a movie playing on base to which if I could see his face it would have said, "I thought you were going to leave the "where" to me." So I said, "I'm sorry."

I could not wait until the day at work ended and I could go home. Thankfully, the day went pretty fast and was somewhat uneventful.

Since his class is from 4pm until 8, I thought I had some time to chill and relax. And don't get me wrong I did, but when I heard the garage after chilling for about an hour and a half, I was surprised. That's okay!

I already figured out what I wanted to wear, cute bright yellow dress that I had gotten from Old Navy. But since he said the place is casual, jeans it was!
After picking out my outfit, taking a shower and doing my nails, I was ready!

I got into the car with the music bumpin' and we were soon on our way!

I wanted to enjoy the drive to wherever we were going but my mind was swirling with the possibilities of where we were going. I was thinking this place, that place, downtown, some dive bar, some hole in the wall spot, where were we going?!

Then I started making out  loud guesses as to what part of town were we going to. I knew I was getting close when he just smiled and kept driving. I was no where close to where he was taking us. It looked like we were headed toward the Mexican border! To which I said, "I don't have my passport on me!" Thinking that he would say, "Surprise! I have them both!" Ha ha! That didn't happen.

Then we got lost! But only for awhile and then we were back on track.

Then I saw the place we were going to. It was bar like but clean and nice. And across the street was the beach! What grabbed my husband's attention, I think, was the all you can eat fish and chips. He knows that's one of my favorite things to eat. He is really thoughtful like that!

I got my fish and chips and he got a juicy burger. I think that after taking a bite of my fish, I could have, should have stuck with a burger. The fish and chips, I could tell were not their specialty. They weren't disgusting, just a little on the dry side. Oh well! But the company was great :)

After dinner, we took a walk on the Boardwalk, overlooking the ocean. It was cold and when it's cold, I sometimes get grouchy for want of warmth. He did tell me to where jeans and  I did wear a sweater but it wasn't thick enough. So for the sake of intimacy, I sucked it up and wrapped his arms around me while we stood still. We then started off the Boardwalk onto the beach and then through the small downtown area where everyone seemed to be asleep except for the people at another bar, which I didn't want to go into. So we took a couple of pictures!

Take one! Oh Honeeey!


Take two! Blurry, but a little better.

I thought we were done as we walked back to our car. But then we drove over to another part of the beach. It was dark! And as he took me further down the beach my mind was kind of running wild because you could see the Mexican border and thoughts of people trying to cross by boat ran through my mind. What if they are hiding somewhere and waiting to make a run for it? I know, I know...like I said my mind was running wild with imagination.

But I did say it was dark, huh? We were like newlyweds. It was romantic! And I'll leave it at that.

I say all this because dates are very important in a marriage. A date doesn't have to be expensive, it can be relatively inexpensive. There are so many things you can do that are fun. The important thing is being with each other OUTSIDE of your responsibilities (house, kids, animals, work, etc) and take time to ENJOY EACH OTHER! I don't know, maybe it's been awhile and your're just used to the routine of things. Maybe your children are so a part of you that you forget that one day, they may or will go off and do their own thing, and then what?  I don't know what your circumstances are. Maybe your spouse get's on your nerves or irritates you to no end. Maybe they are not meeting your expectations. Why would you want to spend time with them? I don't know, maybe to remember what you had when your first knew them? Maybe what you have now?

Your spouse is a gift, a treasure. Sometimes I forget that and I know I forget when I make a smart remark to my husband or question everything he's saying, or not being encouraging. That's when I know I need to step back and check myself. But when I start to remember the things that I love about him, my heart is overwhelmed with gratefulness for him. And I thank God for picking him for me and me for him.

I know for myself, well for us, that I would like to continue our date nights, big or small because from what I've seen in other people's lives as examples (ie, my parents), it's bound to make a world of difference. And being a Christ follower, I know He makes all the difference!

If someone came up to you  and they shared that they are having a hard time thinking of some date ideas, what would you suggest for them? What are some of the things you and your spouse like to do?

 

4 comments:

Jamie said...

You guys are so cute together!

Mrs. M ~ a.k.a. ~ April said...

Aww, thank you!

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

loving the hair. it's true, you guys are so cute and fun together...

these days going on a date a winning lottery tickets for us.

Mrs. M ~ a.k.a. ~ April said...

Thank you Miss TOI! I know you and your husband love your time together when you can. I hope you get more special times together.